Previous (incorrect) guesses
First posted 2 November 2002 at 0124 GMT
Last updated 9 December 2002 at 2126 GMT
REDMOND, Washington — Since January, 2001, when the puzzle was first
issued, there have been thousands of guesses. Thus far, none of
the guesses has been correct.
Participants in the search for the correct solution have a major
advantage if they have a list of the previous, incorrect guesses.
Those who have such a list are able to avoid
testing theories that have previously been proven wrong. A list of
all previous, incorrect guesses has been compiled.
All of the following are incorrect guesses. That is, the States List Puzzle
is not a list of any of the following:
- The order in which any of the US Constitutional amendments were
ratified by the states;
- The order in which states adopted their flags;
- The order in which states adopted their state flowers;
- The order in which the states declared the winners of the 2000
- The order in which the Olympic torch passed through the states
- The order in which the federal government is releasing the state
- The alphabetical list of state trees (by common name);
- The alphabetical list of state birds (by common by name);
- The alphabetical list of state flowers (by common by name);
- The numerical list of area codes, sorted by state.
There are hundreds of other guesses that have been made.
When the puzzle was confined to the office staff, the participants
usually knew which theories had been explored and which guesses had been
made and shown to be incorrect.
The purpose of the puzzle is to raise funds for charitable purposes,
which is the reason for the significant prize, which is being offered to the
first person who correctly solves the puzzle. Whenever anyone made
a guess at the solution, a contribution of one dollar would be made to
the charity. These one dollar contributions were the reason for
In order to encourage
charitable contributions by those attempting to solve the puzzle and
compete for the prize, the
complete list of guesses will be emailed to participants upon